Spiralized Butternut Squash and Prosciutto Casserole
This is not your ordinary casserole! Spiralized butternut squash meets prosciutto, thyme, leek, ghee, coconut milk, arrowroot powder and more in this baked dish that warms the soul. With so much flavor and nutrition in one dish, this recipe is sure to become your new go-to casserole. Grab a Veggie Bullet and head to flavortown!
- 2 Medium Butternut Squash, cut to fit chute
- 1 Large Leek, cut to fit chute
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 Cups Low Fat Coconut Milk, from a can
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder, or Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme, chopped
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Additional Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 6 Slices Prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Steps to Prepare
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using the standard Spiralizing blade, spiralize the butternut squash pieces and place into a bowl. Use hands to break up some of the longer noodles and set aside.
- Place the Shredder/Slicer attachment onto the Veggie Bullet base. Using the Slicer attachment, slice the leeks into a bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add 1 cup of coconut milk on medium heat and let it heat through, but not boil.
- In a large sauté pan, add ghee or coconut oil to the pan on medium heat. Add leeks, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soften. Add all squash noodles to the pan and sauté for an additional 4 minutes, or until they start to soften, but not fully cooked.
- In a small bowl, add the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk and whisk in the arrowroot until there are no clumps. Add mixture to the warm coconut milk and whisk together until mixture starts to thicken, about 3 minutes. Whisk in thyme, cheese, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. If small clumps left its okay, it will come together while it bakes.
- In a greased 9x13 baking dish, pour in butternut squash mixture, and spread out evenly in the pan. Pour the sauce over the noodles and spread evenly. Use your hands to distribute prosciutto slices all over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle the top with additional ground black pepper and parmesan cheese and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!
- Don't own a Veggie Bullet yet? Use a hand spiralizer to spiralize your fruits and veggies, a food processor to shred and chop, and a knife and cutting board to slice. Just expect to add additional prep time and use more counter space.