Scallion-Beet Fritters with Dijon Mustard
The bold flavors and colors of beets come together perfectly in these delightful appetizers that are guaranteed to please. A little tangy, a little earthy, and a little spicy, these beet fritters are bite-sized morsels with fantastic flavor and visual flare.
- 3 Red Beets
- 3 Golden Beets
- 8 Scallions, trimmed with white roots removed
- ¾ Cup Almond or Rice Flour, sifted
- 3 Eggs, or 4 Egg Whites
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Dried Dill
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
Steps to Prepare
- Begin by carefully scrubbing and washing beets.
- Once completely cleaned, cut in half, placing golden beets in one bowl, red beets in another. The idea is to prevent the colors from bleeding, so you will have half golden fritters, half red fritters.
- Next, using the Veggie Bullet Shredder attachment and shred the golden beets. Place shredded beets into a large bowl and repeat process with red beets.
- Once all the beets are grated, place each colored shredded beets into a kitchen towel or cheese cloth and ring out all the excess liquid. Place eggs, scallions, flour, dill, salt and pepper into the Veggie Bullet Blender Cup. Pulse until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Take half of mixture and pour into bowl with golden beets, then pour remaining mixture into bowl with red beets. If the mixture seems too wet, add 1 additional tablespoon of flour at a time to the mixture.
- Use a spoon or fork to carefully combine grated beets and flour mixture in each bowl.
- Place a medium fry pan on stove and heat oil, spoon out a teaspoon of the beet mixture for each fritter and pan fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes. You can probably fit about 6-8 fritters in a pan at one time.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain and cool a bit.
- Repeat process until all fritters are cooked, making sure to add more olive oil to the bottom of the pan, should the oil get absorbed while fritters are cooking.
- Transfer warm fritters to a serving platter, sprinkle with a squeeze of lime or a bit of parmesan cheese, and serve with a side of spicy mustard for dipping.
- Don't have a Veggie Bullet? You can use a hand spiralizer to spiralize your fruits and veggies, a food processor to shred and chop, or a knife and cutting board to slice. Expect additional prep time and counter space.