Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
This Easter, get ready to hide some veggies inside your chocolate! No one will ever know. We’ll throw a cup of shredded zucchini into our baked chocolate treats and out will come some incredibly moist, fluffy and chocolatey muffins. Best muffin texture you’ve ever tried! All thanks to the multi-faceted green veg we don’t speak of… And, they won’t even know it’s there. It’ll be our dirty- (actually, clean) little secret.
Find this and other healthy recipes by Aleyda on The Dish on Healthy!
- 1 ¼ Cups Zucchini, shredded
- 1 ¼ Cups Oat Flour (see note)
- ¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Espresso Powder or Instant Coffee
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Large Eggs or Flaxseed Eggs (see notes)
- ⅓ Cup Pure Maple Syrup, Agave Syrup or Coconut Nectar
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ Cup Coconut or Avocado Oil, melted
- 1 Cup Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips (or chocolate chips of your choice)
Steps to Prepare
- Turn the oven on to 350 F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with parchment paper baking cups
- First, we shred the peeled zucchini into a medium size bowl in seconds thanks to the Veggie Bullet. With the unit powered off, switch to the shredder blade (make sure the side labeled “shred” is facing upward through the center spindle).
- Dump shredded zucchini into a cheese cloth or paper towel. Squeeze any excess liquid out of the zucchini.
- In a large bowl mix the oat flour, sea salt, cacao powder, espresso powder, baking powder & baking soda.
- In a medium size bowl whisk eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, apple sauce, and coconut oil. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the grated zucchini and the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter onto each muffin cup, 2 will be empty. I filled these empty ones halfway with water before sticking the muffin pan in the oven. Sans parchment cups on the empty ones.
- Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top of each muffin before baking.
- Bake for approximately 22-25 minutes.
- Instead of oat flour, you can also use spelt flour, gluten-free all-purpose flour, or whole wheat pastry flour.
- For each egg, add 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal to 3 tbsp of water, stir well and allow it to sit for 5 mins and thicken before adding them to the batter. I place them inside the fridge for that time, to speed up the thickening.
- For the maple syrup: if you’ve got a sweeter palate, add ½ cup instead.
- Don't own a Veggie Bullet yet? Use a hand spiralizer to spiralize your fruits and veggies, a food processor to shred and chop, and a knife and cutting board to slice. Expect additional prep time and counter space.