Chef Leah Cohen's Beef Pho
On cold winter days, nothing warms you up like a comforting bowl of Vietnamese pho. Don’t be intimidated by the long cooking time – the flavorful and fragrant broth is well worth it! As you pour it over your noodles and fresh garnishes, everything will come together in perfect harmony. And by replacing pho noodles with freshly spiralized zucchini, you can cut down on carbs while still staying full and satisfied.
Chef and owner of Pig & Khao in New York, Leah Cohen recreates her favorite Vietnamese dish with the help of her trusty Veggie Bullet.
Watch the video below to see how Leah creates her savory pho with crunchy zoodles.
- 1 Large Zucchini, spiralized
- 2 Large Onions, charred
- ½ Spanish Onion, thinly sliced
- 15 Cloves Garlic
- ¼ Cup Cilantro Leaves, loosely packed
- 5 Inches Ginger, sliced lengthwise and charred
- 2 Red Chilies, thinly sliced (more based on taste)
- 1 Lime
- ½ Cup Thai Basil Leaves, loosely packed
- 1 ½ Cups Bean Sprouts
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Whole Star Anise
- 1 Pound Cleaned Sirloin, thinly sliced
- 10 Pounds Beef Bones
- 2 Tablespoons Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 ½ Sticks Cinnamon
- 1 ½ Inches Rock Sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Salt, more to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce, more to taste
- 5 Quarts Water
- 2 Quarts Unsalted or Low Sodium Beef Broth
Steps to Prepare
- Place beef bones, charred onions, charred ginger, garlic, star anise, peppercorn, cinnamon sticks, rock sugar, fish sauce, salt, water, and beef stock in a large stock pot and cook for 2-3 hours skimming any fat or scum that rises to the surface.
- Using the Spiralizer blade, spiralize the zucchini to use as the base of the pho. Garnish with Thai basil leaves, cilantro, onion, red chili slices, sirloin beef slices, and bean sprouts.
- Pour the hot broth over the noodles and garnishes, squeeze in fresh lime juice, and enjoy!
- Don't own a Veggie Bullet yet? Use a hand spiralizer to spiralize your fruits and veggies, a food processor to shred and chop, and a knife and cutting board to slice. Expect additional prep time and counter space.